Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Happy Hump Day

Well it is Wednesday, and I only have 2 1/2 weeks left here - it has gone by really fast. Well more like a rock rolling down a hill, a little slow at the beginning, but then it gains momentum, and at the end it is going so fast it is almost out of control.

I forgot to tell you guys that last Thursday night (July 3rd) we all went out for dinner to a seafood buffet called Makinochaya. There was so much food there; I had three plates and then dessert. There was some stuff that I have never seen before. I have some congee thick rice porridge) with Abalone – not my favorite, but the co-workers raved about it. There were about 40 different types of sushi and sashimi. There were little cups of various eggs, live octopus, and well things I couldn’t tell you about; because all the descriptions were in Korean only. After gorging ourselves we went and had drinks. I had some beers, didn’t want to get too crazy and scare them with the “drunken Lindsay”. Do you know that you can order a bottle of alcohol for your table? Pretty cool, beats the heck out of ordering a lot of shots or mixed drinks – and probably a lot cheaper.

Monday my co-worker and I went to Suwon, another city (but so close to Seoul, I thought that we were still in Seoul). We met with a galbi restaurant owner about the idea of using US beef. Galbi is marinated beef rib, the meat is cut into a long, thin strip that is cooked over a table grill with garlic and mushrooms. And as tradition goes in Korea, about 10 side dishes accompanied it. We had kimchi, salad, pumpkin, spinach, soup, etc. After the meat is cooked, it is rolled up in a leaf (sometimes sesame or other varieties), with onions, chili paste, and garlic if you choose; you then wad it up and shove the whole thing in your mouth. It was so good, and I ate a ton of meat, as red meat here is few and far between. After lunch, we met with a famous chef (Mr. Kim) about the idea of doing some promotional things when beef come back to Seoul. Although I couldn’t understand any of the conversation, it was great picking up on the non-verbals and facial expressions – I guess my Communication degree has really paid off. After a day of eating and listening to Korean, it was time to return home. At 5 p.m. our cab driver said he had to return to the shop. And they will literally just drop you off on the side of the street to get another cab. My second cab ride was like taking my own life into my hands. There were several times I thought we were surely going to hit another vehicle, and the driver would look in his rearview mirror; I think to see if I had a death grip on the oh shit handle. I got home safe and sound!!

It is so hot and humid here that it feels like you leave a path in the air behind you as you walk. And the fact it is sticky makes it so much better. They said it gets worse in August, so you can bet I am thanking my lucky stars I will not be around to witness it.

Friday is D-Day (dog eating day). I will post again once I taste Fido. Take care!

5 comments:

Kellie said...

Is Mr. Kim the celebrity chef that is on Iron Chef on the food network channel?? Hope your dog is tastey!! woof,woof!

Lindsay said...

I am not sure, if I saw him I could tell you. I will see if I can find a pic of the Iron Chef's Mr. Kim.

Lindsay said...

Nope - no Mr. Lee from Korea on the Iron Chef; but I guess he is pretty bad ass over here.

Jessica said...

Wouldn't that have been awesome if it WAS someone on Iron Chef? I got to go to a cooking school yesterday and I got my picture taken with a famous Japanese cooking show chef--don't know who she is but I thought it was cool :)

Tony said...

Ah, sounds like a very interesting day was had. Sounds like some good food was eaten and a very interesting cab journey was had!

Take care.
Love you