Thursday, July 10, 2008

Beef is back

Well it was official today. As of 5:00 a.m., July 10 (USA central time) beef is officially being slaughtered for Korea. So in a few short weeks US beef will be arriving here for consumption. It will be interesting to see what the reaction is. The good news is that the protests will only happen on the weekends from here on out. They have estimated that the month and half of protests have cost $2.5 billion in damages; which is in lost business, the ruined buses, hiring of extra police, restaurant and taxi business losses, etc., plus the grass at City Hall has to be replaced. And to top it off the founders of the Mad Cow group are holed up at a temple. I guess if they remain there, the police cannot come onto the temple grounds to arrest them, the only way it can happen is if the temple wants them to leave. President Lee has replaced 3 more of his cabinet in hope of trying to get public sentiment back to a reasonable level.

Burger King is under some fire now. In the US they released a statement saying that hamburgers were from cattle over 30 months of age (really? who would have guessed? I mean come on people, what happens to all those old beat up cows?). Well Burger King in Korea was telling people that their burgers were cattle under 30 months, so I guess the head office put their foot down, and now Korea Burger Kind has announced that yes, their burgers are from cattle over 30 months of age too. The good thing is that when we went there for lunch today, it was not busy at all.

Tomorrow I will tell you all about the farm and import visit, oh and the dog!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your posts! I check in each day and can't wait to see pictures of all the commotion! Looking forward to your description of eating Fido-- though I must say I think you are braver than I would be! Take care my friend! Montana

Tony said...

Can't wait to hear what happens tommorrow. Did'nt i tell you this might happen while you were there?

Excellent stuff!


Love you

Kellie said...

I was just reading the press release that it was back. The beef is back. If only you could wear a shirt that said that and didn't get kicked!